Thursday, May 20, 2010

First Impressions of Alaska & My AmeriCorps VISTA Service Work

Hey everyone!


I hope this note finds you warm and well wherever you may be in the lower-48. I'm safe and sound in Fairbanks, Alaska. It's beautiful here! I'm living in a dry cabin just outside of town with no running water and LOVE it. Most everyone lives sustainable up here mainly by filling a few water jugs once a month, utilizing an outhouse just outside their cabin, recycling materials, and composting food waste. Regarding my volunteer service, I had orientation in downtown Seattle from April 13-16 and had a blast! I saw a Mariner's game, Pike's Place Market, Space Needle, and rode a ferry across the bay at sunset to Bainbridge Island. Seattle is beeaaaauuutiful! I'll be there again this Weds through Friday to meet up with my mom and a couple friends before heading up to Vancouver, BC on Saturday morning to run the marathon on Sunday, then back to Fairbanks on Tuesday the 4th. I'll do my best to act as a tour guide in Seattle, at least.
 
[Groovin to 80's music as Miami Vice's Don Johnson.]

Since arriving in Fairbanks, I've been busy meeting people and seeing the main sites around town. I stayed with my volunteer supervisor and my AmeriCorps volunteer leader the first few days before moving into my supervisor's old cabin. Here's a list of what I've done so far: Tokyo Police Club concert + 80s Dance Party + Spring Fest (Earth Day Celebration w/music) --> all at UAF (U of Alaska - Fairbanks); Fairbanks Grizzlies arena football game, listening to some acoustic folk music at The Marlin Pub, ultimate frisbee and sauna with lots of people about 20 minutes West of town. I also had a great conversation with a well-known Fairbanks musician who plays guitar in the band, Work, who's going to get me in touch with some people to hopefully play drums in a band or two while I'm up here, too. Aside from that, my mom and her coworker Pam are coming to visit me July 28th - August 4th, where I'll take the train to Denali National Forest to meet them, stay the night, then get up early for an all-day wilderness tour in/around Mt. Denali, then train it later that evening to Fairbanks. Not sure what we'll while they're visiting Fairbanks, but we'll figure it out. My next time back in Minnesota will be in late August for my friend/guitarist's wedding on August 28th. Until then, I'll be rockin out here in Fairbanks, maybe get in a couple hiking/camping/fishing trips, and volunteering my time with AmeriCorps at Fairbanks' Street Outreach Advocacy Program (SOAP).


[Fairbanks Grizzlies game. The hard hat came in handy when the players got smashed into the padded boards in front of us.]

Speaking of work, I'm volunteering under Fairbanks Counseling & Adoption's Youth Drop-in Center called SOAP. I'm here to help with grant writing to expand and establish programs that help the area's youth runaway and homeless population. Drug, alcohol and sex abuse are a big problem for families in/around Fairbanks and are a big reason why the youth resort to living on the streets. Sure, it's springtime and summer's approaching fast, but think about how difficult it would be to live on the streets in the winter. Dry, sub-zero temperatures that dip down to -60ยบ sometimes are life-threatening. We are here to support their basic food and shelter needs for a few hours each day as well as offer assistance in affordable housing and work options. I'm excited to learn more and hopefully leave some sort of tangible and intangible impression on the institution and children of this area. The goal is to have this be a fully operational youth shelter within the next couple years. Here is the website of the site I'm working with through April 2011. http://bit.ly/cTkDI0

I think I should wrap this up seeing as though I really want to start up a journal/blog/photo blog within the next few days. I'll let you know when I have that link. Many, many, many more adventures to come for sure! If you'd like to stay in touch via physical mail, feel free to check out these two addresses listed below. Have a great day!

Best,
Dan

Physical Address:
435 Betters Ln
Fairbanks, AK 99709
Google Map:
http://bit.ly/dyFWQA

Mailing Address:
PO Box 81043
Fairbanks, AK 99708

2 comments:

  1. Good to see your all settled in! Mark Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan-
    Sounds like great work! I wish you luck on your travels. You are kinda living my old dream...the one before I was a mom and a wife ;) Living in Alaska in a cabin. SO COOL!

    See you at the Chris/Jessica affair!

    ReplyDelete